Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

is it me?

Or does anybody else long for the Good Old Days when it was much easier to see whether shampoo and conditioner was for normal, dry or oily hair? Nowadays it just isn't as clear-cut. Personally, I only have to stand in the shampoo aisle for a few minutes before I'm completely bewildered and feel like tearing my hair out. Which maybe I should do simply so that I don't have to buy anything. Listen to this: clarifying, revitalizing, replenishing, volumizing, fortifying, hydrating, reviving, moisturizing, purifying, nourishing, refreshing, bodifying. Aaaaaaaaack!

Honestly, depending on my mood (and blood sugar level), I don't know whether to whine or wail. Yes, publicly, and loudly. Bodifying? Besides butchering the English language, I don't know what half of those terms mean! Or what they'll do for my hair. Not that the old system was perfect either. What if you have normal hair that gets dry at the ends, and sometimes turns oily if you don't wash it every day? Kind of like combination skin. And what about if you have dandruff? Or the worry that you might get dandruff if you don't use the right kind of shampoo?

And, now that I'm turning gray faster than you can say Taylor Hicks (of American Idol fame), I'm finding out that losing the pigment in your hair can be expensive. Have you seen how much shampoos for gray hair cost? Seems like a double whammy to me. You lose both the colour in your hair AND you pay extra for it. Oh, and mom? Thanks for the genetic "you too can start the process in your early thirties already" contribution. Appreciate that.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just start using baby shampoo. After all, if it's good enough for babes, it should be good enough for me. Right?

Oh, and I saw a shampoo the other day made specifically for men. Now how do shampoos know the difference between male and female scalps? Sigh. Seems like I have a lot to learn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Country Dweller said...

Hello, KJ's muse. Thank you for your kind words. I have been looking for a second-hand copy of Alberto Manguel's book but with no luck so far. I did enjoy Ruined by Reading very much. She writes so well, I think. And I enjoy your blogs. Had a lot of fun with the chicken riddle at an Easter lunch. KJ lives a very different life from the farm cats around here, I can tell you.

April 27, 2006 4:37 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Confused in Canada,

One word - dye! No, not die!, dye! Leaves you with staggeringly dry hair requiring only buckets of axle grease on a daily basis to render said hair presentable. However, axle grease IS cheap and this option also solves the gray hair problem.

We will be finishing our email to you and Kazumi Joy in the morning but had to check out your new blog before we went to bed! Glad to see that you've set it up.

Puuuurrs to Cousin Kazumi.

Awesomely, albeit Artificially, Ashblonde in Australia.

April 29, 2006 9:27 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hello country dweller,

You MUST obtain that book for your library. There are lots of used copies on Amazon.com, and even a few on eBay, so maybe try there as well. Glad you enjoyed the riddle—I had fun putting it together! And yes, my KJ would not make a good farm cat, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Cheers!

April 30, 2006 3:20 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hello wibnewoman!

Thanks for checking in on my blog.

Actually, I have to confess that I don't mind turning gray. What I do mind is waiting for it to turn the beautiful white silver that my genetic forerunner has. Right now, my salt/pepper ratio is about 35:65, and I want it to be 100:0. Unfortunately, the whole process takes a good twenty years plus. Sigh.

April 30, 2006 3:35 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home