Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Monday, June 19, 2006

but why ten?

Notice of course that there are TEN keys to success. Now why does it usually have to be 10 (or 7) keys, steps, rules, lessons, secrets, habits, ways or whatnots in those lists and books that they're constantly cranking out? Why can't it be 8, 9, or 11? Oh I know, those aren't the numbers we've come to expect, but that, in and of itself, would make me think that there just might be something to whatever program is being touted. Think about it. How can it always be a nice even 10? It often just makes me suspect that there are in fact fewer real keys, but that a couple were invented to round up the number. Anything with exactly 9 keys, steps or rules would make me trust it more. (I'm sure they're out there of course, but none come to mind now and I'm too lazy to check.) Wow, I'd say to myself, these folks may actually know what they're talking about. They didn't stretch it to make it an even 10, no, they're being honest and upfront and 9 is just what you need to achieve whatever changes they're recommending. And 11 steps? Now that would get my attention even more. That would tell me that just following the first 10 steps, while almost guaranteeing results, won't quite get you there. Nope, this program needs a bit of an extra oomph to give you complete success. A program with 11 steps—oh let's go wild and make it 13—THAT'S what I'd like to see!

Hmmm, but now that I think about it, if I were to see 9 or 11 steps in future, I'll think they've done it for exactly the reasons just outlined. No, from now on I'd better only trust it if it has precisely 14 steps. Snort.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

I think the completeness of the number ten is from the number of digits we have for counting. But why do we have ten fingers? Why not fourteen or six? My husband, the linguist, tells me there is at least one language where the counting system is base 20. Apparently they used their toes.

I just tagged you for a meme at my place.

June 20, 2006 9:59 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Ah yes, that would make sense. And it'd be neat to have a counting system based on 20. This also reminds me of my former cat, Adrian Mole (named after Sue Townsend's fictional character), who had 7 digits on each front paw. They were huge! Snort.

Hey, thanks for tagging me! I'm working on the meme right now. Well, right after Coronation Street....

June 20, 2006 6:58 p.m.

 
Blogger Pieces said...

I have never actually thought about it but the whole time I was reading your post I was thinking "Yes!" You made perfect sense--even coming full circle to trusting the round number better.

And why not 17 steps? Just too many right?

June 20, 2006 10:25 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yep. I don't think I could cope with more than 14!

June 22, 2006 12:09 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home