Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

[note: insert dramatic sigh]

I'm having another one of those Who-Am-I-Kidding-I-Can't-Write-Worth-Crap days. Ugh. Still, it could be worse. On Really Bad days, I even consider removing Humour in front of the word Columns from the nice orange banner up above because I've decided that not only can I not write, but also that what I do write isn't the least bit funny. Not even a poke-fun-mainly-at-myself-because-it's-rude-to-make-fun-of-others type of funny. Oh, the verbal self-flagellation that goes on! Eventually it does stop of course, but I still haven't found an effective way to prevent it from starting up in the first place.

The one thing I've learned though is that wandering around in the blogosphere when you're having one of those days is not, I repeat NOT, a good solution in trying to convince yourself that you have at least a smidgeon of writing ability, and that pulling the plug on your blog is rashly premature. No dear readers, do not venture into other blogs on Really Bad days because you will soon realize that at least 1,041,410 other bloggers have the right to claim to be writers, whereas you, well, you have at most what can be described as a vivid imagination when it comes to judging your own level of skill. [note: insert another sigh here, with perhaps a hand-across-the-forehead gesture for extra effect.]

It's true though. There are many talented writers* in this blogosphere and there are enough days when the only way for me to keep on writing is by accepting the fact that I have to write, regardless of ability. Thankfully there are also days when I can look back at some of what I've written and deem it not too bad, but I suppose in the end it doesn't matter; I write because I can't even imagine the alternative of not writing.

* One of the first blogs I was lucky enough to encounter was Calvesgarden Calendar, and I realized right away that his was special. I'm in awe not only of his writing style (he has the loveliest metaphors), but also of his extensive knowledge of books AND the proper names of things. That, snort, won't be found here. And check out the other blogs in the sidebar as well—talented writers all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Country Dweller said...

Hello Kj’s muse, I see you have one of those days. You’re much too hard on yourself, I think. You write exceedingly well. A lovely effortless flow. And the voice is so alive that your notion of the good life or the good place carries over with great clarity. Toddled Dredge complained the other day that she had nothing to say. I wanted to comment: Then just write what you do, but I’m a bit shy because it’s really a mother’s site, so I didn’t. When you like the voice of the person inhabiting the writing, her zest, integrity, generosity or other rare gifts, it’s just as interesting what she does or registers, I think. You have a great personal voice and it’s sometimes very funny, but always interesting. Glad you can’t stop!

June 12, 2006 4:36 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, country dweller. They mean a lot to me. I'm glad my writing appears to flow effortlessly (it takes a fair bit of effort on my part to achieve that, LOL), and you're right of course about the importance of voice. I don't think Toddled Dredge would have minded your comments though—she's also a big fan of yours!

June 12, 2006 11:09 p.m.

 
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

It seems to be re-evaluate month in the blogosphere. I did, Pieces did, Her Bad Mother did. I suppose it is a normal phase in the life of a blog.

"No dear readers, do not venture into other blogs on Really Bad days because you will soon realize that at least 1,041,410 other bloggers have the right to claim to be writers, whereas you, well, you have at most what can be described as a vivid imagination when it comes to judging your own level of skill. [note: insert another sigh here, with perhaps a hand-across-the-forehead gesture for extra effect.]"

First, that last part made me laugh. Very Wuthering Heights. Second, I feel just the same. I see how consistently funny Mom101 is, or Sweatpantsmom, or Antique Mommy, or the careful erudition of Country Dweller, or the concise and consistent book reviews of Semicolon, and I think, "What am I doing here? I just blather." And then I blather away anyway. It's still fun. When it stops being fun, I'll stop blogging.

So please continue to join the rest of us in a good blather. You know you want to.

June 12, 2006 11:30 p.m.

 
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Yes, I am. Comment away.

It seems to be re-evaluate month in the blogosphere. I did, Pieces did, Her Bad Mother did. I suppose it is a normal phase in the life of a blog.

"No dear readers, do not venture into other blogs on Really Bad days because you will soon realize that at least 1,041,410 other bloggers have the right to claim to be writers, whereas you, well, you have at most what can be described as a vivid imagination when it comes to judging your own level of skill. [note: insert another sigh here, with perhaps a hand-across-the-forehead gesture for extra effect.]"

First, that last part made me laugh. Very Wuthering Heights. Second, I feel just the same. I see how consistently funny Mom101 is, or Sweatpantsmom, or Antique Mommy, or the careful erudition of Country Dweller, or the concise and consistent book reviews of Semicolon, and I think, "What am I doing here? I just blather." And then I blather away anyway. It's still fun. When it stops being fun, I'll stop blogging.

So please continue to join the rest of us in a good blather. You know you want to.

June 12, 2006 11:31 p.m.

 
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Yipes! Apologies. I hit the button once more when it didn't seem to post or something. And here I am cluttering things up with another comment. Delete that first one, if you like.

June 12, 2006 11:32 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yes indeed, the blathering will continue! Thanks Veronica. Nah, I'm not gonna delete—I like a bit of clutter.

June 13, 2006 11:01 p.m.

 
Blogger Pieces said...

I think your writing is lovely and I am sorry that I have been without time to visit and read and enjoy. Good for you for recognizing that you cannot compare yourself to others. One of life's toughest lessons. If we compare ourselves to others (usually our perception of others) we will always come up short. Keep writing! I love it.

June 16, 2006 5:39 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thank you pieces! I appreciate your kind thoughts and encouragement. I think it will always be a bit hard not to compare, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to be more critical of one's writing, rather than less. I also believe that writing is a craft that can always be improved.

June 17, 2006 7:57 p.m.

 
Blogger Girl About Town said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog...and I think your writing is pretty good actually...! But I know where you are coming from. I have these days too - but like you, I just *have* to write...! Look forward to reading more of your blog. :)

June 25, 2006 11:41 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home