Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Friday, July 28, 2006

no place like home


"Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home." —JOHN HOWARD PAYNE

I seriously considered taking part in the virtual house tour arranged by BooMama. I really did. You were to have five photos of your house including the front door, the place where the magic happens (i.e., where you blog), your main living area, your kitchen, and an optional photo. Now I love open houses and house tours of any kind, and even peeking into lit windows on my nocturnal walks, so I was keenly anticipating participating.


I got stuck though at the very first photo. Front door. Hmmm, well, I don't have one. I rent my apartment, and being on the second floor of an old house, it only includes a back door at the bottom of the stairs. And an ugly grey steel door at that. Certainly not a door I even like looking at, never mind putting on display. So, I played with the idea of finding a photo of a door I liked on the Internet, but finally decided to post an old pic of my neighbour's front door instead. The one I can see out of my living room window and the one posted above.

I then took some pictures of the other required locations, uploaded them, and realized that I wasn't so sure I wanted them on my blog after all. My place is my sanctuary, and where I feel most at home (a cliché perhaps, but true), and like a territorial cat, I carefully guard who gets to enter the premises. And it's odd really, because I'll probably end up exposing more personal things about myself than my domestic habitat, but I worry that it could still feel like a potential invasion of privacy. Maybe later, and maybe one photo at a time (there's a shot of the bathroom in the previous entry), but for now I think I'd better pass.

But hey, make sure to check out the fabulous house tour and sneak a peek at the many places that WILL let you look inside!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home