Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

left and right

Listen to this:

Everyone knows whether they are right-handed, or left-handed. Few know whether they are right or left-eyed.

Do you?

If you don't know, stretch out an arm, either will do, and point with a finger to a distant corner of the room—keep both eyes open.

Staying in this position close one eye, then the other. In one case your eye will match whatever you're pointing at in the corner, in the other your finger will be pointing way off the mark.

If you're on target, that's your leading eye.

If you're right-eyed you probably see the above figure [unfortunately I can't reproduce it here] as a rabbit, if you're left-eyed you probably plump for a bird.*

Well! I'd never heard of that before. I'm left-eyed by the way. And right away that led me to wonder about the percentages of people being left-eyed and right-eyed. Is it about the same as for being left-handed (which I believe to be about ten percent)? Is there a correlation between being left-eyed and left-handed? I'm right-handed, but because I was starting to experience some pain in using my right hand so much, I now manoeuvre (quite skilfully I might add) the mouse with my left hand. And did you know that left-handed people figure more in certain activities and occupations? Like the visual arts, and among astronauts? I must confess that while the visual arts didn't surprise me (because of greater right-brain activity), the latter did.

So, as with many other things, I immediately went to Wikipedia, and according to this link, about two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant, but that the side of the dominant hand and eye don't always match. Interesting.

* Fletcher, Alan. The art of looking sideways. London: Phaidon Press, 2001.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Cats Corner said...

I have never heard of this! But interesting. Very interesting!

I'm left-eyed by the way. Geeee was the right eye WAAAAAYYY off when I pointed at the object!!

Thanks for sharing. Very neat thing to blog.

Purrrrs - Your friends over @ the Kitty Cats Corner (TSE)

August 24, 2006 3:09 a.m.

 
Blogger Pieces said...

Weird. I've never heard that before. I'm right hand, right eye. I thought everyone matched up. I'll make my whole family do this tonight at dinner.

August 24, 2006 8:22 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yeah, I'd never heard of it before either. Was happy to share.

Like your new pic, pieces! :)

August 25, 2006 5:44 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Do you all actually only see one finger when you do that? I point one finger, but I see two. :(

August 26, 2006 2:11 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Oh dear, seeing two fingers doesn't sound good at all! You might want to get that checked out....

Give Scootie a pet for me!

August 26, 2006 5:48 p.m.

 
Blogger Kitty Cats Corner said...

LOL! Yeah I dont think youre suppose to see TWO fingers!

Now how many fingers am I holding up??

Purrs - Your furrends over @ the Kitty Cats Corner

August 28, 2006 3:57 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right handed, left eyed. However, i was left handed as a child but a first grade teacher told me in order to be like other children I needed to write with my right hand instead. So I taught myself to change hands. I wonder if that effects left/right eye coordination.

August 31, 2006 8:10 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home