Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

crashing and falling


Not sure whether my computer is suffering from old age, split personality, or demonic possession, but whatever the specific ailment, it's in dire need of a complete overhaul. It's been making me nervous lately by freezing up without any provocation on my part (honest!), occasionally refusing to load Windows even when I ask nicely, or telling me that my settings aren't correct when they were perfectly fine the last time we played together. Yesterday however was the last straw. Turning the computer on it had the audacity to greet me by just giving me numbers to look at instead of the nice pictures I've so carefully loaded. I wasn't sure whether to cry or throw up (or both!) and in desperation I called my trusty technician (read: brother) and wailed that my computer was now officially scaring me. So, I get a new (read: cobbled together from various parts collecting in his basement) PC tomorrow night. Yay! But that also means that some time will be spent installing this hopefully-not-too-much-like-Frankenstein contraption, and that I'll have to learn how to manoeuvre my way around. For example, goodbye Windows 98 and hello Windows XP. Hmmm.

Back soon I hope! Wish me luck. :)

p.s. Maxine may have high-speed, but I still have DSL...

3 Comments:

Blogger Dakota said...

This must be horrible for a person who doesn’t like change :-)
But you’re going to be alright. XP is a bit different but it will make you forget ’98 pretty soon. Good luck :-)

August 30, 2007 7:23 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - it's like your computer and mine are one and the same. Mine is a little better since Nick worked on it though. For the past 5 years, I've been running Mac, but if I remember Windows XP correctly, there is a really good function that allows you to fix your computer data by going back to any point in time that you choose when things were running smoothly. Of course, if you start your computer and see only blue or something like that, the function won't help. Best of luck and I hope you're up and running soon! :)

August 31, 2007 5:22 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hey Krissa, I AM up and running (well, ambling I guess), but not quite smoothly (see post from today). That's good to know about that XP function!

You're right Dakota, I think I WILL be alright. Just need to adjust a little which is a small price to pay for not having to fear that my computer will implode! :)

August 31, 2007 5:25 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home