Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Saturday, May 06, 2006

the hunt

Came across a church book & bake sale in my travels today, and as I only had $2.50 on me, it was no contest as to what part of the sale would draw me in. After a bit of scouring I managed to find the following:

* Barbara Pym's An Unsuitable Attachment
* Iris Murdoch's The Philosopher's Pupil
* Jane Jacobs' Dark Age Ahead

* Roger von Oech's A Whack on the Side of the Head
* Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (hey, you never know)


Not bad. No cash left, but five books richer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Country Dweller said...

Not bad at all, I must say. I also keep lists from the hunts and like to read others’. The biggest fish I caught last year was a first edition of PG Wodehouse’s 'Summer Moonshine' (1938) in a finely woven red cloth binding as fresh as if it had been stored in a box. I spotted it among 100.000 books at a Dutch sale in town in only twenty minutes because of the typical Jenkins’ binding.

I remember Lynne Truss mentioning the book by Murdoch in her punctuation manual 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves'. She didn’t like the extensive use of semicolons, I think it was. So that’s one way of looking at it. Thought you might like to know ;)

May 08, 2006 12:29 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Good catch country dweller!

Haven't read Lynne's manual yet, but am looking forward to reading Talk to the Hand: the Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or, Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door. Snort. What a great title!

May 09, 2006 3:47 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home