Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

quirk #2


I don't like water.

I mean, I drink it of course (especially after the kidney stone incident), and bathe to get clean, and I don't even mind looking at picturesque waves rolling in, but I prefer not to be IN the waves. I can float, and know how to swim (sort of), but I don't like it, and rather not be in water at all. Don't like sprinklers or rain either, nor boats of any kind. I just don't like getting wet! Or being too close to water.

Now where did this aversion come from? Well, my mom's aversion to water is even stronger, almost bordering on phobic, so maybe there's a genetic factor. Or maybe it's learned. And see the water in the pic I posted? There, in the background behind me? See how close it is to the first house I lived in (it actually starts right behind the hedge!) while still in Holland? Well, apparently, one of us five kids fell in one day (can't remember which one), and that didn't help to disperse mom's already strong fear of water. Can't blame her I guess.

But that still doesn't fully explain why I dislike it the stuff so much!

4 Comments:

Blogger Keiser said...

you were a cat in a previous life. all of us have an aversion to water (except for certain breeds - they don't know any better)

September 03, 2006 6:48 a.m.

 
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Hmm. The cat theory may hold water.

I like water, though I hate and fear water in my ears. My father has it the worst - his head is literally so big that his natural buoyancy point is about two feet below the surface. If he tries to do the backstroke, he just sinks. It is so sad to watch.

September 03, 2006 1:30 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

you were a cat in a previous life

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Or a witch maybe? I think it was in one of my anthropology courses where I remember reading that during the witch-hunts they would immerse suspected women in water and if a woman drowned it was proof that she wasn't a witch, and if she didn't drown, it was proof that she was, so either way, you were sunk!

September 04, 2006 10:33 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

I hate water in my ears too, Veronica. It makes me claustrophobic.

Aw, your poor dad.

September 04, 2006 10:35 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home