Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Sunday, November 26, 2006

brrrr, too cold


And it's a shame. I admire riders who bike all through winter, but I find it too cold now. Worse, because it's still exercise, I end up sweating AND freezing at the same time, so no, down in the basement until spring it goes.

But I'm reminded of the first few times I took this baby for a spin a few years ago after not having been on a bike in over two decades. I took comfort in that old cliché "it's like riding a bike," and merrily hopped on only to discover that I wanted to clobber ANYONE who's ever said that! Never forget? Um, I don't think so! Okay, so I did get a bit more comfortable after the fourth trip, and apparently provided much-needed comic relief for my so-called friends in the neighbourhood on my first trip, but still! (It must have looked pretty funny, I'll admit.)

Ah, but that seems ages ago now, and almost nothing can compare to the delicious freedom of being on a bike. It almost makes me feel sorry for those who have to transport themselves by car. Please spring; come quickly!

And remember the political slogan made famous by Gloria Steinem many years ago? "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." Snort. Proudly wore a button with that logo on my light blue army surplus knapsack one year while taking a third-year Sociology of Women course. Ah, memories...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I'm sure I would be humiliatingly clumsy on one now. My sister, on the other hand, is into racing and just finished her first 100 mile race. She sneers lovingly at me, if you can imagine.

November 30, 2006 12:42 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

100 miles. Wow.

"sneers lovingly" Snort.

December 01, 2006 10:08 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home