Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

catching up with Mary

Borrowed The Mary Tyler Moore Show complete first season DVD from the library this week, and am indeed catching up. I can't believe I never saw any episodes of the first season! Mind you, we had just immigrated to Canada the year it began (1970), and I was still a little kid. I guess I didn't start watching the show until the latter seasons, so it's nice to be able watch all the episodes in order.

I've always loved the opening sequence of the show—great song, and who could ever forget Mary throwing her hat up in the air? In fact, I believe they made a statue of her character doing that in downtown Minneapolis. And apparently when the woman in the background staring at Mary died, her obituary even mentioned her being part of the scene!

I also loved her apartment, the lower built-in bookcase especially, and the exterior shots of the house she lived in. Ah, what a wonderful show. And what memorable characters. I can hardly wait to watch the other seasons.

Must go, Mary's calling!

**********************************

The lyrics to the theme song "Love Is All Around" (written and performed by Sonny Curtis), was changed after the first season:

(Season 1, 1970)

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, and girl, this time you're all alone.
But it's time you started living.
It's time you let someone else do some giving.
Love is all around, no need to waste it.
You can have the town, why don't you take it?
You might just make it after all.
You might just make it after all.


(Seasons 2-7, 1971-1977)

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you, girl, and you should know it.
With each glance and every little movement you show it.
Love is all around, no need to waste it.
You can have the town, why don't you take it?
You're gonna make it after all.

You're gonna make it after all.

**********************************

Saturday, December 9th, close to midnight: just finished watching the final episode. Am I happy? You bet.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my absolute all-time favorite show -- ever! I would have turned down a date (if anyone had asked) to stay home and watch MTM. Now you know way too much about my age.

December 07, 2006 11:30 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hi Scootie's mom!

Yeah, it's a great show. Groundbreaking even. Just watched the Christmas episode (what a tree!) and it made me all warm and gooey inside. And I agree about the date thing. I'd rather watch (with a nice glass of sherry in hand) Mary go on a date than go on one myself! Which probably reveals more than just my age. Snort.

December 08, 2006 8:18 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always envious of Mary. Her life seemed so exciting and I couldn't wait to grow up and have a job, choose & buy my own (grownup) clothes, go on dates, live in my own apartment and have friends like Rhoda.

Ah, naiveté at its finest. BUT I'm not commenting on the age thing ;-).

December 11, 2006 8:57 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hey mum,

I'm STILL envious of Mary. Snort.

And still waiting to grow up! :)

December 13, 2006 2:27 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home