Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

my 142nd post

Why the hoopla about this particular number? Well, why not!

And am I going to be springing the list that I hinted at in my 100th post? Hmmm, not really, but sort of. What you're getting instead is a column I wrote years earlier about some of the things that I don't understand, and while this won't give you as much insight as a 100-things-about-me list probably would, it was easier to write. Snort. Here goes:

42 THINGS I HAVE YET TO UNDERSTAND
(and no, that doesn't mean that there are only forty-two)

* the difference between plants and weeds

* why my right arm is longer than my left

* why 15 degrees Celsius feels warm in spring, yet cool in fall

* people who like dogs better than cats

* people who don't even like cats (what is THAT about?)

* why time seems to go faster as you get older

* why the rest of the world doesn’t share most (never mind all) of my opinions

* the appeal of coloured nail polish

* those funny geometric shapes when you rub your eyes really hard

* why there is both long-term memory and short-term memory, but no such thing as medium-term memory

* anyone who refuses to even CONSIDER playing Scrabble

* why cute babies rarely stay that way as they get older

* how I still manage to get wet even when using an umbrella

* why I love a good tomato, and like tomato soup, but hate tomato juice

* why birds have to sing so early

* how five siblings can be so different

* why my hair grows faster on the left-hand side

* why paper cuts hurt so much

* how when you live with others even your laundry cycles start to coincide

* why after all these years I can never remember whether the clock goes forward or backward when daylight savings time begins, and ends

* the five-day workweek

* why dishes never stay done no matter how often you do them

* why thunder and lightning makes me nervous

* why some people are still hung up on whom you love, rather than being happy that you love

* why I LIKE the taste of Buckley's Mixture cough syrup

* why it's no longer acceptable to do only one thing at a time

* why even atheists use God's name when swearing

* why dentist appointments always seem to arrive so soon

* that silly rule about when to wear white

* why I still use credit cards when I'd balk at paying that much interest at any other time

* why certain people get elected in the first place

* why they still haven't solved the problem of newsprint ink rubbing off

* why they don't understand at Lenscrafters that if I could actually SEE how the frames look while trying them on, I probably wouldn't even need to be there

* how I always (and I mean ALWAYS) pick the wrong checkout line

* why movies at the theatre stop playing the exact weekend I'm planning to go see them

* football (both the desire to watch, and play)

* the fear of snakes when there aren't that many around (at least, not where I live)

* why the phone has to ring the very SECOND I get settled on the toilet

* how otherwise intelligent people can't set their VCR properly (yes, I’m one of the few people left who doesn’t have a DVD player yet) [update: I do now!]

* why people don't try to avoid heartburn in the first place

* how TV shows that I wouldn't even consider watching at any other time of the day suddenly seem quite acceptable—interesting even—any time after midnight

* time itself

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a weed gets no care or attention, no fertiliser and no love it will still thrive and multiply. Even if a plant gets care and attention 24/7, fertiliser, ideal growing conditions and favour from the Gods there is still a 50/50 chance it will die; a horrible, slow and painful death.

Perhaps your right arm is longer because your left side is so busy growing hair?

Babies are only cute so their parents don't abandon them while they are screaming/puking/filling their nappies as any other sane person would. What they grow up to look like is a matter of chance.

What's wrong with coloured nail polish???

Believe it or not I'm lousy at Scrabble :-(. Despite an amazing vocab my brain just doesn't see patterns in letters, it's really odd.

Tomato juice is neither here nor there. It's not raw but it's not cooked. I relate to this because I loathe grilled or fried tomatoes.

I love thunder and lightning or electrical storms as we call them. Growing up in tropical North Queensland where the wet, stormy season happens Nov/Dec/Jan we are told, as children, that it's because Santa is making the toys for Christmas. Mother Nature showing off and at her finest!

Did you actually want a reply to the post? :-))

December 14, 2006 6:54 a.m.

 
Blogger Findlay Furs said...

Let's not forget today's weather... how is it that in 5 degrees Celsius I'm comfortable in a t-shirt!

And are you serious about LIKING the taste of Buckley's cough syrup?

If you're an atheists I think the word God is just a word... yup just a word like any other... that's my story and I'm stiking to it...

teehee, I'm picturing it - wild crazy canadian snakes!

oh ya...did you want others to reply?

December 14, 2006 9:33 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

You two are funny! Um, I actually wasn't EXPECTING any replies, but yeah, I'll take 'em!

What's wrong with coloured nail polish? Nothing. For some reason it's just always struck me as odd, but then I don't wear makeup, so that's probably why.

Great weather again today Lukester! Not having to wear a winter coat at this time of the year? Unreal. But again, I'll take it! :)

December 16, 2006 9:49 p.m.

 
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

You know what? I could ditto every single one of these. EVERY ONE.

Heh.

December 18, 2006 5:50 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by her bad mother. I'm honoured.

December 21, 2006 8:39 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the eye shapes! augh!

it has just occured to me that it would be possible to play scrabble alone. just now! hee i am so going to win. haha

the lenscrafters bit cracked me up. too funny.

December 26, 2006 10:30 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thanks nicrojamah!

December 29, 2006 7:43 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home