Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

am I a Luddite?


(A Luddite is generally defined as one who opposes technical or technological change.)

Maybe, snort. No, that telephone is not the one I use anymore, but in some ways it might as well be. And I like having it around, as a nostalgic reminder if nothing else. I did finally graduate to a cordless phone about a year ago, but in defiant opposition to the tyranny of multi-tasking (those of you who KNOW me know how I feel about that!) I still refuse to do anything else when using it. Oh, but I do like walking around when talking to someone, so can better see the value of it. But a cell phone? Nope, not me. I don't WANT to be accessible at all times, thank you very much. In fact, half the time my ringer is off anyway as I often just get annoyed at being interrupted. What can I say? I'm a true introvert!

MP3 players? iPods? I'm surprised I even know the terms, although if I'm honest, about all I know about them is that they're musical gadgets of some kind. I have a Pentium II computer with, wait for it, a whole 1.96 GB. Sometimes I even have to clean my disk space if I have too many windows open and a blog is particularly large. I have Windows 98 and just tell Microsoft to go away when it presents me with Windows updates. This new Vista thing? Not interested.

Now am I telling you this because I think I'm in the right? No. I realize in fact that I should probably try to keep up more, but just can't be bothered. I guess I kinda figure that the stuff I have is still working well enough, and given my natural dislike of change (yes Dakota, I know, LOL), I prefer to leave things as they are. Snort.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's this for being a luddite...I don't know what Vista is, agree with you 100% about the cell phone and cordless phone things AND I don't have an Ipod or any kind of MP3 player either. :0 (of course some of that is more by economic choice than personal preference, hee hee). ... I like your phone. It reminds me of when I lived with my grandpa while I went to school. His was beige/brown though. Ugly.

February 22, 2007 4:28 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hi Krissa,

I don't know much about Vista either, other than it's a new Microsoft Windows package that I undoubtedly don't have the hardware requirements for. Yeah, don't have the money for most new gadgets either, plus I find there's just too much choice!

Hey, just checked eBay and there are 138 rotary telephones being auctioned off—wish mine wasn't such a boring colour!

February 22, 2007 11:20 p.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Don’t change if you really don’t want to or aren’t ready yet, it will only make miserable!

Hmmz… maybe I am a luddite too? Nah, I like new technology too much :) Does this mean I buy everything that is new? Nope! I still have a telephone with a cord :) I do have a very modern cell phone, but I have no problem turning it off so I am not accessible 24/7. I have a simple iPod and I love it, but that’s mainly because I love music so much. And finally I know about windows Vista, but I am not ready to make the change yet. They say it’s great but I want proof first :)

February 23, 2007 4:57 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the color of your phone! If nothing else, it's very tasteful. The ones we see in store windows here are enough to make you woozy! Really bad green and orange colors...I love green and orange, but somehow they manage to make those phones in shades of green and orange that can give one a headache.

February 23, 2007 9:29 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hey Dakota,

I'm actually NOT a technophobe, although it may sound like it! :)

Part of it for me, is wanting to keep life as simple and economical as possible, and that means not getting things I don't need. Of course the definition of need is different for everyone. Having said that I'm afraid that Windows 98 will soon be obsolete and I'll HAVE to upgrade! And we all know how I feel about HAVING to do anything.... :))

Hey Krissa,

I don't mind the colour either actually (it fits in), but the colours that seem to be selling best on eBay are as far away from beige as possible! Red, green, orange, and turquoise all do much better. Sigh.

February 23, 2007 7:47 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red might be fun, but I think yellow or even blue would be the best!!! :)

February 25, 2007 1:03 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home