Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Sunday, February 11, 2007

a traditional Canadian dish

Okay, apparently butter tarts DO qualify as being a real traditional Canadian dish, and I even found a recipe in one of my books. I've never made them myself as I don't care for them much (too sweet for my taste), but in case you want to try it out, here it is:

Butter Tarts — 12 medium

1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1/3 cup raisins
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tablespoons cream (or evaporated milk)

1/4 cup cream (or evaporated milk)
12 uncooked pastry shells

Mix all ingredients except for last two until combined.
Divide filling between the twelve tarts.
Pour a little of the 1/4 cup of cream into each tart dividing equally. Do not stir.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 minutes more or until a golden brown.

Let cool in pan. Remove carefully.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dakota said...

Sounds interesting enough :) I’ll copy the recipe and try it out (when I have a bit more time)!

February 12, 2007 11:21 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Great, let me know the results! :)

February 13, 2007 7:15 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to try these this weekend but with yet another forecast of 38C I'm a tad reluctant to have the oven on for some strange reason. :)). But yes, the recipe will keep until it cools down.

February 14, 2007 1:24 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hey mum of two,

I'll be posting pics tomorrow of our winter storm. You know, to cool you down. :)

February 14, 2007 8:36 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home