Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Friday, February 02, 2007

(still) speaking of food…

…I ran across this page a while ago poking a bit of fun at, well, traditional Dutch cooking, and as much as I may feel compelled to vigorously defend my culinary heritage (I've lived in Canada for over 30 years but still retain Dutch citizenship), I can't really say they're wrong, snort. But I will say that even though the meals my mom cooked might have appeared bland, they tasted anything but. Man, she's a good cook! Make sure to check out the recipes, which include some of my favourite Dutch foods—yum!

Um, not to boast or anything, and my recipe is a bit different from the one included in the link, but I must say I make an EXCELLENT pea soup. Just saying. :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to look at the article now, but before I do, I have to say that no matter what someone thinks about Dutch cooking, there is no WAY it could be worse than traditional German cooking. Luckily we've been on our own since the end of November and do our own thing, but we had two months of traditional German cooking and......it wasn't good. (No offense to any Germans out there..my s/o is German and he doesn't even like the cooking).

February 03, 2007 6:54 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOPS!!!!! Um, traditional Dutch cooking is, I guess, also traditional German cooking. BUT, the pea soup (minus the meat) does sound like it would be good. :) ... Mexican, anyone? ha ha...

February 03, 2007 7:01 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Interesting link, but I think there are a lot of things missing like “witlof ham en kaas uit de oven, stoofpeertjes and jachtschotel” :) You might find this interesting. I am interested in real Canadian cooking now, so tell me, what is a traditional Canadian dish?

Oh, I do hope you put smoked sausage in your pea soup :)

February 03, 2007 11:20 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hi Krissa,

no matter what someone thinks about Dutch cooking, there is no WAY it could be worse than traditional German cooking

Snort. Oh, how I laughed when I read that knowing you were going to find out any second that Dutch and German cooking is probably the same! Maybe it wasn't German cooking but the cook that was the problem? ;)

Yes, the pea soup IS good, and yes Dakota, I do use ("rookworst") smoked sausage!

Great link Dakota! Thank you. And you're right, there are things missing. Like Dutch tomato soup "met kleine gehaktballetjes" (with small meatballs). Love "stoofpeertjes" (cooked pears), and am definitely going to follow some of the recipes in the two sites. Saw a recipe for "hete bliksem" which I've never had before but sounds yummy, and oh, I'm getting hungry again!

Hmmm, a traditional Canadian dish? I'll have to get back to you on that one. :)

February 03, 2007 11:23 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was a real case of virtual "foot in mouth", eh? And yes, it WAS the cook, but I better leave that alone. :)

February 04, 2007 6:05 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Snort. I wasn't offended, but did think it pretty funny!

February 04, 2007 9:37 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home