Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

you are what you eat

Well, if that's the case, then some will consider me mushy, bland and boring. What am I? Oatmeal! Yep, I eat oatmeal every single day. Except for the occasional eggs, sausage and toast eaten at a restaurant, I've pretty much had oatmeal for breakfast for at least the past ten years. Why? Because it's the only food that sticks to my ribs for at least three hours. I've tried a lot of other things, but everything else leaves me famished in less than half that time, and believe me, not only does my blood sugar level drop quickly, but my good humour as well. Now I'm not talking about instant oatmeal, which is just a whole lot of sugar as far as I'm concerned. No, I make oatmeal with the stuff you use for baking, or sometimes when I want to feel even healthier, the steel cut kind. With soymilk, not water.

The other habit I won't give up on is having my big meal of the day at noon. Whatever I would normally have for dinner I have at lunchtime instead (even when working I'd simply bring something I could heat up in the microwave), and the old sandwich and fruit I have for dinner. Works for me as the few times when I have deviated from it my system didn't like it at all. If I don't have a big meal at noontime I could have three dinners in a row and still end up feeling hungry by nine. Strange, I know, but that's me I guess.

Oh, and I used to love the UK television show You Are What You Eat, but no longer have cable so can't watch it anymore. Pity.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what...I ate oatmeal for breakfast every single day for years, too! I ate eggs at the same meal, though. Then little "half" meals the rest of the day. For the last couple years I had steel cut oatmeal after I read it's better for you. Also with soy milk! (That's what Basil saw me eat for bfast every day while we were together). Somehow I've gotten out of that habit and now it's eggs and toast. It will mean a trip to a specialty store here in Germany, but I think I'll go get some oatmeal (not instant) myself. :) ... You may already do this, but it's super good with strawberries or blueberries also with bananas and peanut butter together. YUM-my!

February 02, 2007 7:04 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo haggis has loads of oatmeal in it :-P. Best lunchtime fare (as a treat) is haggis and bacon toasted sandwiches. Breakfast is generally a massive cup of coffee but I do like congee on the weekends. A Chinese rice breakfast soup/stew/gruel. Topped with heaps of spring onions and/or fresh chillies and/or fresh coriander (American = cilantro). Made with pork or seafood or chicken or beef. Yum. I am so having that for brunch tomorrow. Stop talking about food, I'm hungry!

February 02, 2007 7:53 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. so thanks mum, for making even a vegetarian hunrgy with your desrciptions!!! (i really think i know what haggis is, but i better look it up...i think it's something to do with goose liver??). ... i still love oatmeal. :)

February 02, 2007 3:07 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Woohoo—a culinary kindred spirit! Hi Krissa! I've had friends make fun of my boring breakfast, so felt vindicated when I kept reading and hearing that oatmeal is one of the best things you can eat. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning when I prepare mine again!

mum of two,

I'm salivating, so stop it! Um, guess who's doing what when they come over? ;)

Oatmeal and haggis? No, you're pulling my leg. Wait, let me go check—hmmm, oatmeal does seem to be one of the ingredients, but I don't think I quite like the sound of the other ingredients or how it's made! But that congee sounds good—I'll have that please. :)

February 02, 2007 9:26 p.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Hmmz…. Haggis. I’ve to eat supper in an hour or two, but I think I can skip it now ;). Did you know that Balkenbrij is a very similar Dutch dish :) I didn’t know that!

As a kid I used to eat oatmeal (or Bambix) for breakfast too, but I stopped eating it when I got older. Nowadays I stick to two slices of bread, or “beschuit”, or croissants (in the weekend) some fruit or juice and a very large coffee :)

February 03, 2007 11:02 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Balkenbrij. Hmmm, never heard of that. Had to look it up!

Bambix. Now that brought back memories! Used to buy it in the Dutch store here but just didn't find it filling enough. Haven't had "beschuit" in a while either. It's funny though, but some of that stuff you can now find in regular grocery stores!

February 03, 2007 11:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home