Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

what sound, smell or sight…

…brings you back to childhood?

For me it's the rumble of a far-off plane. Instantly it transports me back to the front steps of our old house on those summer days when it was too hot to do anything but sit. On those steps, vaguely bored yet content, I knew that time stretched out in front of me for well, almost forever, and I was confident somehow that no matter how unhappy and trapped I felt then, things could change, would change, and that all sorts of things were hovering on the horizon. I could sense possibility and potential and luxuriated in the feeling that I still had all the time in the world to see how everything would unfold.

Still love the sound of airplanes in the distance. Always will.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rain, rain, rain. Under specific circumstances though. In a hot climate you can smell the coming rain in the air. Then when it starts falling on hot, baked earth it has another unique smell. The sound of it falling on a tin or galvanised iron roof and going to sleep with it drumming on the roof above you. Playing in the rain during a hot summer and swimming while it's raining. So rain, rain, rain in stinking hot weather.

January 20, 2007 9:33 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly enough, it has been quite a few years since I experienced anything that took me back to childhood. I know the feeling you are describing though because it did happen for me in the past. Recently I got some soap that is "milk and honey" scented and it smells exactly like some lotion or soap I had in my early 20's. Smelling it took me right back to the house I lived in then. If I'd have closed my eyes, I could have been standing there in the bathroom getting ready to go to bed.

January 21, 2007 9:21 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

The smell of “Old Spice” brings me back to my childhood, no fun memories though. I can’t stand the smell of “Old Spice” these days, it actually makes me sick.
Another smell that always remembers me of my childhood is cinnamon. Not exactly sure why, but I think it has to do with one of my grandmothers. She used to bake a lot, especially apple pies with lots of cinnamon in it.
Oh and I love the way a forest smell after a rainstorm. Always brings back happy memories of all the camping trips we took.

January 21, 2007 11:51 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Great descriptions you guys. Thank you.

January 21, 2007 6:43 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home