Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

le creuset love



Love love LOVE Le Creuset, and am the proud owner of two of their pots, and two frying pans. All bright orange (could there be a more cheerful colour for in the kitchen?), except for the smallest frying pan which is a vivid blue, and happens to make the best single fried egg ever. I can't afford Le Creuset at regular prices though, so have managed to find each piece in various thrift stores.

Ah, what people (unknowingly?) get rid of! The small pot I picked up for $5, and the big pot (excellent for my homemade soups!) was a hefty $20, but that's nowhere near what I'd have to pay for it new. Speaking of new, the little blue frying pan was exactly that, and I have to admit I pretty much gloated as I handed over my $2 and asked the clerk if she realized what she had just sold. Snort.

Just how much do I love Le Creuset? Well, I always get a thrill when I see the pots displayed on cooking shows (especially the orange ones), and I tend to ignore what's cooking in favour of getting a glimpse of the pots. How or why did my love affair begin? Probably because of nostalgia. Growing up my mom had an orange Dutch oven in which she cooked a lot of her meat dishes (and she's an excellent cook although she refuses to believe it), so I suppose I associate orange pots with memories of homemade cooking. I eventually inherited mom's old memory-laden pot, and still use it to make my own oven roast meals.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dakota said...

Oh my, these have a real 70’s (when everything was brown, purple and orange) feel to them.
I love them :)

January 11, 2007 8:44 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Ah, the 70's. What can I say? My family moved to Canada in 1970, so no doubt that any nostalgia for my youth is based in this time period. But I say orange rocks no matter what decade. :)

January 12, 2007 6:53 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! All we can afford are IKEA stainless steel pots/pans - and even they are not too cheap. I'd love to have something that looks like these!

January 18, 2007 6:28 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thanks Krissa. And because they're cast iron, they'll last forever!

January 18, 2007 7:50 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home