Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Thursday, December 21, 2006

what use indeed


Snort.

I clipped and saved this cartoon about twenty years ago right after graduating with (you guessed it) a sociology degree, and it's been on my fridge (well, a number of different fridges) ever since. I thought it was the funniest thing ever, and while I hoped it wasn't an accurate predictor, like all good humour it contained at least a kernel of truth. But although some would argue (myself included) that I haven't put my degree to good enough use, I don't have any regrets about obtaining it.

I was also lucky enough to be able to go to school when tuition fees weren't so ridiculously high, and when grant programs were still in effect. I'd say that my university years helped shape who I am, and reinforced my natural tendency to question just about everything. Was my degree useful in helping me build a career? Um, no, but I'm sure that I'm mostly to blame for that. I still believe that education is always useful, even if it doesn't always translate into anything tangible. And the cartoon? Well, it'll be on my fridge forever, because if nothing else, it makes me laugh every time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

I kept a cartoon for years that had a picture of a seminary orientation day with the speaker introducing an old lady who was clearly the housekeeper. The speaker said, "And you women students will be glad to know that Mrs. Muskowitz has agreed to mentor you."

Still makes me laugh.

I hope you enjoy the holidays.

December 23, 2006 10:21 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thanks, Veronica. I hope you enjoy them as well!

December 24, 2006 5:58 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home