Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Monday, January 22, 2007

the year of change

A friend of mine asked me a little while ago whether I had started to implement any of the changes alluded to in my New Year's post. My answer to her was, "Yes and no." Elaborating a bit further I explained that when I wrote that entry I'd been thinking primarily of external changes, but had come to the realization that a better place to start might be internally. Mental shifts first, if you will. Now change, something I normally think of as difficult and scary, is, according to Dakota, not something to be afraid of (or at least, the fear shouldn't stop us), so I'm gonna take her word for it, but she'd better be right! :))

In truth though, I've realized for a while that I want to alter some of the patterns in my life, especially as they relate to interacting with others, and I suppose, myself. I'll be turning forty-five (gasp!) this year (yikes—some days I barely feel mature enough to be 25, let alone 45, and I certainly haven't achieved most of the milestones associated with that age), and believe it's high time I resolve certain issues so that I can start living the life I want. While not necessarily a mid-life crisis, I guess I feel I've reached a midpoint of sorts, and want to become unstuck. So, change it is!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm almost 40 myself and have achieved, well, none of the milestones associated with this age. My life has been nothing but constant change for a long, long time. You surely must be correct about inner change being the key because the only thing that hasn't changed drastically is my inner self. The aforementioned (?) changes remind me of the phrase "out of the frying pan and into the fire". :) But I know that some changes do work out for the better. So hang in there and go for it! It sounds like you have the self-awareness to make those good kinds of changes. It probably won't be easy, but didn't Chevy Chase say in "Family Vacation" that "nothing worthwhile ever is"? :)

January 23, 2007 6:14 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

You go girl, you can do this!

Change is scary and difficult but it becomes a lot easier when you know where you want to go. Think about the things you want to change, but don‘t forget to think about all the things you are satisfied with already). Think about your goals, try to come up with a plan and take the first step. Once you’ve set the first step (however small it might be), changing patterns in your life will get easier. I promise :)

January 23, 2007 10:45 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Both of you!

Hmmm, how about this (distilled and combined from your comments) for a working formula?

inner change + action = more of the life I want

I'm gonna give it a go!

January 23, 2007 9:35 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, too. This post gave me a lot to think about. It was....inspirational.

January 24, 2007 7:17 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

OMG what did I say there, I meant to say: “Once you’ve taken the first step”, but I guess you already figured that out :-)

Good luck, you can do this!

January 25, 2007 4:48 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yeah, I ended up reading what you meant to say, Dakota, instead of what was actually written!

Thanks, both of you.

January 25, 2007 6:27 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home