Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Sunday, February 04, 2007

recipe time

Because I can't stop thinking about food I decided I would give you the recipe for my pea soup. I must warn you though that I'm a lazy cook and don't believe in precise measurements (which can result in a slightly different dish every time), pre-soaking, rinsing (surely a little dirt can't hurt!), or pureeing. I also usually prefer recipes with no more than four ingredients and less than ten minutes of preparation time. Like I said, I'm lazy.

Just As Good As My Mom's (Or Even Better!) Pea Soup

* 1 bag of dried peas (and remember, don't bother rinsing or pre-soaking—who has the time?)
* 2 (at least) onions, chopped
* 2 (or however many you like) celery stalks, chopped
* 3 (or however many you want) carrots, chopped
* some people use potatoes (I don't)
* salt and pepper to taste
* many cups of water (okay, about 8-10, or enough to leave 1-2 inches of boiling room at the top of whatever pot you use)
* 1 smoked sausage (also known as Farmer's or coil sausage I believe, or "rookworst" if you happen to live near a Dutch store)

Take the smoked sausage and let it well up (but don't boil!) in a pot of water. Remove the sausage when it looks nice and plump (maybe twenty minutes?) and put aside for later. Take the water the sausage was in and use that as part of the cooking water (that way you'll get some of the flavour already). Dump in (yes, no need to be all precise about it, LOL) the rest of the ingredients in a big pot (remember to leave room at the top) and let simmer, covered, for a good long while. Two hours minimum I would say, but really, the longer this soup simmers the better so if you have the time, three or four hours is fine as well. Cut up the sausage in pieces (small or large, whatever you want) and throw them back into the soup about half to three-quarters of an hour before you think it's done.

Oh, and anything you may have read about how the soup thickens and tastes even better the next day is absolutely true. But don't worry about how thick the soup is when you warm it up again as it'll get thinner with cooking, so don't you be diluting it! Make sure to cook a nice big batch and put the leftovers in containers for later. Yum!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really good!!! I wonder if "veggie sausage" will work, but it'd be worth a try. And I LOVE cooked carrots!!! Probably will skip the potatoes, too though. Thanks for the recipe!!!! :) Hope to try it later this week.

February 05, 2007 8:01 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

You're welcome! I've never seen a recipe for pea soup with carrots in it, but why not? Actually, I make homemade soup a fair bit and am a big believer in throwing in whatever I happen to have around. Veggie sausage? Hmmm. Let me know how it works out!

February 06, 2007 8:55 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far we can't find veggie sausage (they have it in the US so i know it exists). AND, believe it or not, dried peas!!! We'll have to go to a specialty store for them, I guess.

February 09, 2007 6:42 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

No dried peas? How strange!

February 11, 2007 5:55 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did find dried peas, but there seems not to be "veggie" sausage in Germany. Guess there's no demand for that. So...I may give up and just make it without, but I guess I'll have to use some spices? ... (the peas are hiding on a bottom shelf near some juice. of COURSE!! that's exaclty where i should have looked in the first place) hmphf.

February 26, 2007 4:50 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hmmm, I'll try and find out what else you can do to make it tasty without the sausage.

February 26, 2007 10:46 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take your time...:) This weekend we'll be at the Berin Tierheim visiting Paula and she comes home on Monday. So the earliest we can try out the recipe is the following weekend. But I can already imagine how good the apartment will smell while it's cooking. MMMMM!!!! :)

March 01, 2007 3:49 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yay, Paula's coming home! I'll ask my mom this week about your dilemma. :)

March 01, 2007 9:29 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! ... We're "off" in about two minutes to go visit Paula. I'll check on Hexe, too. ... Hopefully this time next week, the apartment will be smelling all yummy. :)

March 03, 2007 5:45 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

My apartment smelled yummy today—I made homemade tomato soup!

March 04, 2007 11:10 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coincidence time...it wasn't the same day, but I made homemade tomato soup last Friday...and I hadn't even seen this comment then!

March 12, 2007 8:12 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Snort.

Have you tried making the pea soup yet? Am thinking of making it myself in the next week or two!

March 12, 2007 11:22 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home