Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

a treat or a temptation—you decide

Häagen-Dazs Mayan chocolate: described as a rich chocolate ice cream with a fudge swirl and a hint of cinnamon

Indeed. I bought a container today as it was on sale for half-price and I wanted to try this new flavour, but most importantly because I forgot why I had banned this gooey delight so many years ago. I must say though that I started out well enough and had three scoops in a bowl after lunch for dessert. I then had another three scoops in a bowl after dinner for dessert. The three words "in a bowl" is key however because I forgot the cardinal rule about Häagen-Dazs: never EVER stick a spoon (no matter how small) in the container and proceed to eat. Repeat, NEVER ever! Before I knew it the entire container was gone and I remembered how I used to inhale this mound of sugar within half an hour at least once a week in my earlier years. I then made the mistake of looking at the Nutrition Facts and learned that I had consumed 80 (eighty!) grams of fat (48 of which were saturated), which represented 124% of the recommended daily value. Yikes. I quickly consoled myself with the knowledge though that I had also consumed 8 grams of fibre and 20 grams of protein although somehow that didn't really seem to lessen the impact of the number 80. Sigh.

Ah well. Luckily I have been blessed with a fast-working metabolism, so am not too worried. And if I happen to buy it again, I'll make sure to remember the rule!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL.... possibly the following fact about myself will make me seem a bit of a "freak", but I stopped eating (refined) sugar in 1997. I was hypoglycemic and headed toward probably being diabetic. Since then, I have fruit and some dairy, but no more Krispy Kreme, Ben & Jerry's, Kit Kats, etc. My all-time favorite ice cream was Blue Bunny Peppermint that came out at Christmas time....TO DIE FOR!!!! not sure how much fat was in it, though. Probably a lot. Hope you're feeling ok today! :)

February 04, 2007 7:39 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hi Krissa,

Yeah, I've been trying to cut out refined sugar as well. I still have it IN some foods, but try not to add it. For example I use Stevia now in my coffee and tea. I figure every bit helps! My sister had gestational diabetes and my mom was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago, so I feel justified about my concern. And it's funny because now when I have something that is very sugary I can really taste it!

Oh, and I did feel tired, sluggish, and a bit headachy this morning, but didn't connect it to the sugar binge last night until I read your comment. :)

February 04, 2007 9:39 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely it sounds like you are doing the right thing to avoid refined sugar for the most part. I also skip the white flour. That's easy in Germany because they have lots of whole grain products. And I never miss sugar or crave it. Sometimes I wish I could eat fruit cake though. Loved the stuff! Hmmm...fruitcake, Peppermint ice cream at Christmas, I never realized that the Xmas goodies were my favorite. :)

February 05, 2007 7:57 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yeah, I try to avoid white food for the most part—white sugar, flour, bread, pasta, etc. I just substitute whole wheat or whole grains when I can, but I'll have it sometimes as a treat otherwise I'd feel too deprived! Moderation as they say. So maybe fruitcake just with Christmas?

February 06, 2007 8:53 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home