Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Friday, February 23, 2007

enough already!

I am SICK TO DEATH of hearing about ____ and ____ in the local nightly news. And that's part of the problem. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll probably watch the Oscars on Sunday night just like many other people, but that doesn't mean I want to be exposed to details of the personal lives of American celebrities every single day. Hello? Most of that stuff used to be nicely confined to tabloids and specific television shows one could simply avoid, but now there are times when the second storyline in our local (Canadian, I might add!) daily news show is about one of their stupid antics. Um, why is this considered news? Aren't there more important things happening in the world?

Grrrr.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Yes, there are far more important things happening under our noses. Yesterday, for example, a baboon pinched a chimpanzee's bottom, right under my nose! I had to give him a good hiding. Thousands of bottoms get pinched every day and the news media simply ignore it.

February 24, 2007 2:49 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., they like to put junk like that on TV so that people won't think about the really bad stuff that's going on. It's amazing how many people can be distracted by what happens in Iraq or their own backyard if there's some good dirt about Britney Spears (for example) to look at. Sad. Luckily, I know that plenty of U.S. Americans don't buy into that. Most do, but there are lots who don't. {not sure if that's a :) or a :(}

February 24, 2007 11:06 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it also not a good indication of the 'dumbing down' of the world in general? I never thought that, at the ripe old age of 44, I'd be totally horrified about how much general knowledge people younger than me *don't* have. It seems to be a lot easier to watch the 'celebrities' than go and read a book, or have an opinion or care about anything. Yes I know that's a massive generalisation but dumb does as dumb is. Who's to blame? When an under 20 no longer asks how to calculate 10% of something or what the difference between horizontal and vertical* is then I might consider letting them watch or read telly 'fluff' if I was their parent.

*NO, I'm not joking.

February 25, 2007 8:05 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Not a clue who and who you are talking about here ;)

February 26, 2007 10:14 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Well! Who knew bottom pinching was reaching such epidemic proportions? Wonder what other cover-ups the media's guilty of?

We're just as bad in Canada, Krissa. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty as well. Sometimes I avoid the news because of negativity overload and because I feel powerless to change most of it. So I tune in to the Amazing Race instead. Sigh. I wish that instead of just presenting selective news the media would give us real options for challenging or changing what we've just heard.

I agree, mum of two. And along with a 'dumbing down' doesn't it seem like there's a corresponding decrease in maturity as well? But among all age groups? I know it's another generalization, but it feels like there's a level of immaturity in our society that I just didn't see twenty years ago.

Just as well, Dakota, just as well. ;)

February 26, 2007 11:21 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home