Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Monday, April 23, 2007

my funny new bike


Well, actually, it's an old bike—a '73 Raleigh 3 speed. I just inherited it (and its sibling) from my mom and stepfather as they decided that given their health problems, it might be wise to stop riding them. Apparently their ages (eighty and ninety respectively) had nothing to do with it. Snort. I'd like to see me still riding a bike at 80!

Anyway, I took it out for a thorough test drive today, and decided that it passed. It's quite a bit heavier than my mountain bike, but I like that. The winds were gusting today at nearly blow-me-over speeds, so I felt safer on a sturdier bike. The handlebars are also higher than I'm used to, but I end up driving with a straighter back, which is probably better anyway. And see the neat side bags? Tested them out when going to the grocery store and it was nice not to have to carry items on my back in my knapsack. My parents had them brought over from that bike-loving country known as Holland, and no wonder! They work great.

Yes, I think this bike will be a keeper. Other than the hideously putrid olive colour—I don't even like green, which may come as a surprise given the colour of this template—I like it just fine. The chain guard and the big front light amuse me, and the fenders will work dandy. And hey, I'll probably even look more Dutch on this baby! ;)

p.s. just realized that the colour of the bike (chain guard is in a different hue) pretty much matches the colour on the right-hand side of the page, LOL!

6 Comments:

Blogger nicrojamah said...

w00t! the green bike looks lovely, at least in the photo. hadn't stopped by to say hello in a while...happy belated earth day! :)

April 23, 2007 9:41 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Nicrojamah! How are you? It's good to hear from you! :)

My bike thanks you for the compliment. ;)

April 23, 2007 10:53 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...I LOVE IT!!! I think it looks so cool! That is the kind of bike I picture myself riding if I ever get one. Some of the modern ones are cool, no doubt, but I really love the old ones. I think the color looks great! Those bags are awesome. I don't even see anyone here with them and that's a surprise. The bike would fit right in though. Happy riding. :)

April 24, 2007 8:20 a.m.

 
Blogger Findlay Furs said...

Oh I am jealous! The bike looks like it is in excellent condition, love the color and the bags! Oh so jealous!

April 24, 2007 12:37 p.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

OMG, give me back my bike! ;) Funny I have an old green bike too, but mine looks much worse. It has one advantage though…. No one wants to steal it :)

Btw, are you sure that picture is taken in Canada, the bike looks very Dutch with those bags!

April 25, 2007 8:15 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone! :) I don't even mind the colour that much anymore, snort.

Yep, right here in Canada, Dakota -- took the pic myself. ;)

April 25, 2007 9:30 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home