Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Sunday, April 01, 2007

not going grey FAST enough

There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine. —P.G. WODEHOUSE

Snort. Obviously PG and I share a somewhat different opinion when it comes to the greying of locks, and I'd be travelling to the guillotine in no time if he had his way, but I can't wait for my hair to stop producing its pigment. My mom was gracious enough to pass along to me her blue eyes, fair skin with a definite blue undertone, and genes for silver-white hair. My four older siblings were also the lucky recipients of the hair genes, but ended up with brown eyes and not as fair skin. My mom's gorgeous silver hair made its debut while she was still in her thirties, and all of us followed suit. In fact, if you were to line us up, you could tell precisely what order we are age-wise by simply looking at the distribution of salt and pepper. My eldest sibling in his early fifties has less than a fifth of pepper left (I'm so jealous!), I as the youngest am saddled with about 3/5 pepper, and the other three siblings all fall in between. I sprouted my silver wings, as I like to call them, around ten years ago at age 35, so I figure that in about another ten years I'll finally be able to sport a super short and almost completely white (aren't YOU jealous?) lovely do. In the meantime I have to be satisfied with my wings, a lock of silver in front and a V-shaped streak in the back. Oh, and my eyebrows are starting to sport a few white hairs, which I admit does look a little odd. I guess I have to be a bit more patient though, but lately I keep hearing myself singing that old line, "I wanna wash that brown right out of my hair!" At least, I think that's how it used to go. ;)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in high school, one of my best friends' father had hair exactly as you describe. He was/is a Presbyterian minister. And hey, I just thought of a Canadian actor who I believe had the same silver white hair - Lorne Greene (sp?). He was on "Bonanza". .. It is good that you love your hair. I wasn't real happy to be a brunette until about 5 years ago. Now I am SO happy for my hair color. Another little something that comes with age, I wonder?

April 02, 2007 2:01 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been dyeing my hair since about the age of 25 and my hairdresser estimates that I would now be about 85% white. I don't dye it because I'm afraid of getting older or because I'm trying to look younger, I dye it because the white doesn't suit me yet. My hair is long and IMHO, nothing looks worse on a 'mature' [snicker] woman than long grey or white hair. As both D and I like it long (and it still suits me) I'm quite comfortably and happily vain about dyeing it. :-). Ooooo Lorne Green - Adama in Battlestar Galactica. Fabulous voice (and hair).

PS If this comment appears twice then blame Blogger. It said it was processed but then didn't do it so I'm posting it again.

April 03, 2007 1:44 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

My hair isn’t really turning grey yet, but I did notice some grey hairs last week. I am not ready to go grey yet so I dyed my hair last Sunday :)

April 03, 2007 4:22 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...I had forgotten all about Battlestar Galactica!

April 03, 2007 10:53 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yes, it IS good that I like my hair! For me anyway, cuz it'd feel like too much work to get it coloured. I started to get my first grey hairs in my twenties as well, and unlike Susan, I don't think I'd be dedicated enough to keep getting it done!

I agree though that grey or silver long hair is not particularly flattering, but I do feel that very short white hair can look quite chic. In fact, when my sides started "silvering", I got a number of compliments on my supposed highlights! Snort. Little did they know it was simply my grey starting to show. And because I really do like pure white better than salt and pepper, I guess my wanting to turn grey faster really IS all about vanity. ;)

April 04, 2007 9:15 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home