Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Cagney & Lacey

Anyone remember this show? It ran from 1982 to 1988 and was one of my favourites. I loved the characters (two strong female cops in a male-dominant profession played by Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly), their friendship, the storylines, and the exploration of personal/social issues. What has stayed with me the most though is the memory of the twinges of envy I used to feel watching any given episode, and recognizing years later that what I had been envious or wistful of was their passion. It didn't matter if they were tired or bored or had personal problems; they always seemed committed and passionate about their work. Struggling at the time with what I was going to do when I grew up, I hoped that there was work that I could be equally fervent about. I STILL don't know what to do when I grow up, snort, although I do have a better sense of what it is I love.

Well, it's the show's 25th anniversary (what, WHERE did the time go?) and MGM Home Video is releasing
Season 1 (technically season two when Sharon Gless replaced the original actress) on DVD today. It also contains a two-part documentary and commentary from Gloria Steinem. Hurray!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dakota said...

I remember Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly and that they were cops but that’s about it. I was 16 at the time and I was probably busy doing other things :)

May 09, 2007 10:02 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the show too, but, get this...I was not allowed to watch it. And yes, I was also in the mid-late teen years when it was on. It must have had profanity or something. I'm not sure. So, unfortunately I haven't seen it. I hope you can get the DVD and re-live old memories. :)

May 09, 2007 1:18 p.m.

 
Blogger Bogdan, the editor said...

Hey KJ's Mom:

I tagged you for a meme. But you aren't a cat (it says to tag cats in the rules), so if KJ would rather do it, that's cool, too. Yup.

Purrs to you and KJ,
Bogdan

May 10, 2007 3:48 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hmmm, I was 20 when the show began, so no wonder I was debating career choices. It'll be interesting to see how I react to it now!

Yeah, I'll get KJ to do it, Bogdan. ;)

May 10, 2007 7:22 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home