Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Monday, May 14, 2007

a day late I know ;)

Like many families, mine is incredibly screwed up, and like a lot of other mother-daughter relationships, ours is complicated enough that even picking out a Mother's Day card can be tricky. I still haven't resolved all of the issues between us, but yesterday I wanted to focus on some of the good things I've inherited or learned. These include:

* blue eyes (the only one of five kids)
* hair that will turn silver
* a love of words and writing
* a love of antiques and collectables
* the ability to stretch a dollar like nobody's business
* the skill to clean house in the most efficient way possible
* an eye for colour/design so that every home looks warm and inviting
* figuring out by example how I do NOT want to live my life
* recognizing the importance of being passionate about something
* most valuable of all, the ability to find humour in almost everything

3 Comments:

Blogger Dakota said...

I love your list and it’s a lot to be grateful for :)

The mother-daughter relationship my mum and I have is quite complicated too but lately things have improved a bit. We were able to talk a lot of things over but we still haven’t resolved all the issues yet.

May 15, 2007 10:14 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, it does seem that every woman I know has issues between her and her mother, myself very much included. Here's to hoping that we can all find the best possible relationship with our moms that we can. And for those who will not get the chance, that they can at least do what you have done KJM and find all the good things there were to be thankful for.

May 15, 2007 11:02 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

You're right Dakota, there IS a lot to be grateful for, and I have to make sure to remember that. Glad to hear there's been some improvement for you.

I agree Krissa. No matter how difficult the relationship, we have to at least tease out the good stuff.

May 15, 2007 7:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home