Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

a full moon the night before?

Had a really strange day yesterday. A near collision with a grey SUV while on my bike in the morning had me swerving into oncoming traffic, a sudden storm left our neighbourhood without power for over three hours in the late afternoon (horrible when you're counting on electricity to keep you cool!), AND I started my period again even though I just finished one last week.

But what really freaked me out was the bike incident because at one point I knew I was going to get hit, and I experienced that odd phenomenon where time slows down to a standstill, and the injuries the bike and I were about to receive flashed right before my eyes. I think I even yelled. When the guy in the vehicle did finally see me there was maybe an inch between us at most, and while the oncoming traffic wasn't the slightest bit happy to see me either, at least they SAW me! So my hope for today is that it's COMPLETELY uneventful.
;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How scary!!! I'm so glad you're ok! I will never laugh at people with those orange triangles flying high above their bicycles. Haven't seen that in several years, though. ... Here's to an uneventful weekend, at least. :)

June 29, 2007 5:42 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Glad you are okay! I know how scary and eventful riding a bike can be. It would be safer if we all (the bike riders among us) had 3 pair of eyes instead of just the one. I hope today was a lot less action-packed.

June 29, 2007 9:45 a.m.

 
Blogger Bogdan, the editor said...

Do you have bike lanes there? I LOVE bike lanes. See, I'm not a biker. I'm the person in the car. Bike lanes make it so much safer for everyone.

Glad you are OK. That certainly is a scary experience.

June 30, 2007 1:16 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Thanks guys. Yes, nothing untoward (or toward for that matter, snort) has happened since, and I'm glad. I try to be so careful when on my bike, but it amazes me how invisible I seem to be to both drivers AND pedestrians. A third pair of eyes would be handy indeed!

I love bike lanes too, Jen, but this city has pitifully few of them even though I've noticed an increase in the number of cyclists over the years. They pay lip service to the idea, but don't implement much. :(

June 30, 2007 1:28 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home