Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

do people still use pressure cookers?

I picked one up at a garage sale a few years ago as it reminded me of the one my mom used to have. I finally gave it a good cleaning the other day, and decided to peruse the instruction manual. Well! After extolling the various virtues of their product (it saves time, food flavours and colour, vitamins and minerals, and cooking fuel) it goes on to tell me how this is of benefit to the, um, housewife.

There's pleasure and health for all the family in a Pressure Cooker. For with this modern, scientific saucepan, the pleasure of good eating is matched by the pleasure of fast, simple cooking.... In facing her busy daily schedule, the modern homemaker does not always have time to plan out her menus and arrange combinations to please her entire family. The versatility of your Cooker helps you in this task.... Also when preparing soups and stews, the housewife can be assured that all the health-giving vitamins and minerals contributed by each ingredient will be maintained to the maximum degree.... In addition, every housewife is interested in the saving made through the reduction of cooking fuel costs.... And here's another surprise in store for you: cooking foods for baby and desserts in your Cooker!

Snort. Although the date's not given, it's clear this manual's pretty darn old!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Cats Corner said...

Wow! Havent thought about my mom's pressure cooker in yrs. Oh boy was that THE BEST roast she use to cook in that thing - carrots & potatoes with it. Boy 0oh boy ohhh boy it was GOOD!

*salivates*

Geeeeee now look what you've done. Thanks to you I'm gonna be craving that! *giggle*

Your friends over @ the Kitty Cats Corner

September 01, 2006 4:47 a.m.

 
Blogger Pieces said...

My mom still cooks potatoes in the pressure cooker. I swore I would never own one. Those quotes from the manual definitely date it.

September 02, 2006 4:40 p.m.

 
Blogger Keiser said...

Does anybody use those things anymore? My human prefers to cook certain dishes in a slow way (for 4 or more hours) on a very low heat.

September 03, 2006 6:47 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Hmmm, I'm still thinking I would like to give it a try, but I remember being a little scared of my mom's pressure cooker when I was young. All that hissing, and the pressure regulator on top rocking back and forth. Actually, I'm not sure that the regulator I've got fits right. Isn't it supposed to be kinda snug when you put it on? Mine just falls right off when you turn the lid upside down.

September 04, 2006 10:29 p.m.

 
Blogger Kitty Cats Corner said...

LOL! I'm glad I wasnt the only one afraid of the pressure cooker!!

Ohhhh that is just tooo funny!

September 05, 2006 4:51 a.m.

 
Blogger Country Dweller said...

Don't they explode sometimes?

September 05, 2006 7:01 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Explode? Yikes! Okay, maybe I'll just leave mine in the cupboard....

September 06, 2006 11:09 p.m.

 
Blogger Kitty Cats Corner said...

*ROFL*

Thats what I was always afraid of when I was little. Making that hissing sound and so on. Yep, I was convinced that one day it was going to explode.

Ahhhhh memories . . .

September 12, 2006 3:49 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home