Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

spring break

Well, more like spring clean. Except not at my house, not that it couldn't use it, snort. No, in addition to cleaning houses as a part-time income stream, I'm adding something a bit new this week by cleaning up a vacant apartment for a landlord before new tenants are acquired. How I came about this position is a bit of a fluke, but if it works out maybe I can clean up more apartments for him when tenants move out. The kicker is that the state of this apartment is the worst he's seen in 15+ years of renting. Yikes! That means I've got my work cut out for me. Big time. But, I've gotten super bored with regular weekly maintenance, and in all the houses I've been the biggest satisfaction has come out of getting it really clean the first time. I even made one client almost cry once when she saw how I had "magically" transformed her tub from black to white. Said she'd never seen it that white in seven years. Score! (Pssst, those Magic Erasers really do work if you have enough elbow grease.) So, this could work out well enough, especially if I could get some work from other landlords too.

But first I have to prove myself. And wash walls, baseboards, floors, stairs and who-knows-what-else. Apparently the place is so bad they're even completely replacing the bathroom and kitchen. So yes, I'm somewhat worried. I've seen a fair bit in my stint of cleaning houses (cat, dog and people poop in places you wouldn't even believe, for starters), but maybe this is even worse than what I've encountered so far. And I'm already anticipating a sore body (better start stretching now!) and very tired bones at the end of each day. Which hopefully a long soak in the tub WILL alleviate. For now though I better put up a little sign on my blog:

Gone Cleaning!


Hope to be back by the end of the week. Wish me luck!
I think I'm gonna need it....

5 Comments:

Blogger Bogdan, the editor said...

Oh my goodness. I'm scared for you.

I hope you update on your blog along the way!
Pictures even, maybe?!?!

Hey, you wanna fly out and help me clean up after the work is done on my house?

-Jen

May 23, 2007 3:59 a.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Do you really want those jobs? Sound to me like the tenants made a real mess of the place. On the other hand, it could be viewed as a real challenge too…..so go for it girl! Good luck and take care :)

May 23, 2007 5:09 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOHH!!! I "second"Jen's idea about photos. I hadn't even thought of that. What I was going to say is good luck and I hope you are paid well. I'm bed-ridden for yet another day so even the thought of what you are doing exhausts me. When you get a chance, let us know how it went.

May 23, 2007 5:44 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yes, it's me, and I'm still alive! Tired, but not as sore as I thought I would be.

Hmmm, photos eh? Well, I'll bring my camera along tomorrow and at least snap a pic of a typical baseboard I'm cleaning.

You're right about the tenants making a mess Dakota, but at least they're gone so I can clean it all up. I actually get more annoyed with clients who repeatedly undo all my hard work within a week! :)

About your offer Jen? Um, one word. You get to guess which one. Snort.

Aw, hope you're feeling better tomorrow Krissa. Thanks for thinking of me you guys!

May 23, 2007 6:34 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us know how Day 2 goes! :)

May 24, 2007 3:36 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home