Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

the trouble with me

"The trouble with me is I have no imagination." —JAMES JOYCE

I think I know what he means. While I've always wanted to write, I've never wanted to write fiction, and unlike James Joyce, probably couldn't even if I tried. Invent characters and plot? Um, I wouldn't even know where to begin. In a nutshell, I just don't have that kind of imagination.


Creative non-fiction (personal essay, humour, etc.) is where I feel more at home. Although sometimes embellished a little for comedic effect, everything I write is based in truth, in part because real life is often funnier than anything made up. All the silly scenarios you have read about so far have really happened, snort, and at the possible risk of making myself look even more foolish, I relay them to you because almost nothing gives me greater pleasure than making a reader laugh. Obviously I have a serious side as well, but being told my words are funny is the biggest compliment I can aim for, so, keep 'em coming. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And all the pieces of the puzzle fit together....there is you, a writer who prefers to write non-fiction, and I have always been a reader who prefers to read non-fiction. While I do have to admit that my favorite novel/book is "Crime and Punishment", it is practically the only fiction I have read. I always preferred biographies, true history, news, humor (based in reality) etc. Nick has lyrics in a song that are as follows: Every talker needs a listener. Every ship needs the open sea. Every can needs a prisoner. Every day needs you and me". Well, you see the point. Every one of us needs our "mirror" reflection. Writers and readers alike. ;) Thanks for fulfilling that need for me.

August 10, 2007 12:34 p.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

It's my pleasure Krissa. And thank you for being one of my most faithful readers! :)

August 11, 2007 10:21 p.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

Who needs fiction, when non-fiction is sooo funny :-) Your writing is superb. Keep the posts coming, you know we love them!

August 13, 2007 5:07 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Aw, thanks Dakota. You made my day! :)

August 13, 2007 9:30 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home