Welcome to my humble hodgepodge of humour columns, quotes, tips, snippets, musings and ramblings. Ready? If so, get comfy and make yourself at home!

Saturday, March 17, 2007

did you know?


The sun is precisely 395 times larger than the moon, and is precisely 395 times farther away from the earth than the moon. But the sun and moon appear the same size when seen from earth because of the precise ratio of the distances.

A friend of mine who sent me this tidbit absolutely loves anything to do with astronomy, and I don't blame him. It's fascinating, but in my opinion almost too fascinating as I find some of the facts and numbers involved so astounding it's as if I can't wrap my brain around the enormity of it all. I also get overwhelmed just sensing some of the possible implications to the point where I feel my noggin might shut down if I think about it for too long. It wouldn't of course, but it feels like it might, so I refuse to think about it at all. And that, of course, is just plain silly. So, here's a site that presents a different astronomy image every day along with a brief explanation—maybe I can digest some of it if it's bite-sized enough? ;)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. We are sure on the same wavelength lately. Recently I started looking at space.com. Not sure why. I never was overly interested in astronomy, but I love the photos and started thinking about "it all" just as you described yourself. Now, here is the same subject on your blog. The real test is coming now...I haven't clicked the link you provided yet. If it is "space.com", well my jaw will drop, I guess.

March 18, 2007 11:46 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting site. Before I look at it some more, if you are interested in related subjects, look up "String Theory" and if you really want to read a good book, check out "Tertium Organum" by Ospensky (sorry if I misspelled his name). It will sure make your noggin spin! It is very, very interesting. I definitely recommend it.

March 18, 2007 11:55 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Same wavelength? Now why does that not surprise me?! ;)

Space.com looks interesting too. As does the book you recommended (looked it up on Amazon). But yikes -- time travel! I have a hard enough time understanding time standing still, let alone traveling in it. Snort. No, the concept of time is one of those things that flummoxes me the most. :))

March 18, 2007 6:01 p.m.

 
Blogger Dakota said...

No, I did not know! :)
Thanks for the link - fascinating images and info!

March 19, 2007 6:19 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T.O. is another book my "little" bro introduced me to. The idea of other dimensions than what we know (1,2,3...) is so fascinating. I understood most of it *while* I was reading it, but if I had to turn and repeat or explain it even a minute later, i couldn't. It's very interesting though. Thanks again for the link. It's really cool!

March 19, 2007 11:04 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

You're both very welcome! :)

March 20, 2007 8:50 p.m.

 
Blogger Heather said...

I had no idea that ratio existed ... and I love astronomy. Thanks for posting it!

March 27, 2007 1:46 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

You're welcome Heather. I didn't know either. Thanks for dropping by!

March 27, 2007 9:09 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way...I look at this site every day now. You should see the view from Mt. Everest that is featured today! ...Thanks again.

April 08, 2007 9:08 a.m.

 
Blogger KJ's muse said...

Yeah, that shot is amazing! I'll have to make sure to check out the site more often too. :)

April 08, 2007 11:04 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home